“I fondly call Durham, the City that Bill Built. Yes, Mayor Bill Bell’s vision and the vision of key business leaders and organizations in Durham with the bull determination and tenacity laid the blueprint that has resulted in one of the most successful economic development transformations in the country.” – Farad Ali
WHERE I STAND:
I would continue to advance this successful economic development blueprint the partnerships and investments, the innovation that has served to significantly expand the city downtown and county tax base and financial sustainability. I would propose an inclusive economy that would also focus on reinvestment of businesses in areas that have been neglected or have high level of poverty. As a minority majority city, many of the communities of color are alienated from the very attributes and opportunities that have brought industry to the heart of the city. And I would work to bring balance of opportunities within these communities. However the high poverty rate, the complex systemic causes of poverty, lack of investment in underserved communities must be priorities in balancing the economic health throughout the City so that all citizens may prosper.
- Continue economic investment activities that promote business and development that creates livable wage jobs throughout Durham and efforts to address poverty by focusing job opportunities and training with current unemployed and unskilled workers.
- Engage the community, explore and expand the possibilities for incentives beyond the current use– to leverage benefits and cost of incentives to promote development especially to focus on training and job opportunities in areas with the highest concentrations of poverty.
- Develop innovative financial and strategies to invest in the redevelopment of neighborhoods to include revitalization of commercial areas, housing and adaptive reuse and opportunities to support minority business and entrepreneurship.
- The Triangle is luring nearly 80 new residents a day with strong job growth and a high quality of life.
- EDurham successfully reinvented itself – from a tobacco industry to technology giant to a city of innovation
- Durham is a magnate – a City in demand—seen as an icon of innovation with nearly 100 national accolades